Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Happy Mikulas!

 One of the great perks of being a cross-cultural family is that we get to incorporate various traditions from both American and Hungarian cultures. We desire to raise our children with a deep appreciation for their Christian heritage, but also for both their American and Hungarian heritage. It has also been fun for Viktor and I to learn each others family traditions through incorporating them into our lives as a family. I don't think Emily will mind the extra celebrating that goes on...especially today! Dec. 6 is Mikulas (St. Nicholas) day in Hungary. Children put boots in the windowsill (Dec. 5) and Mikulas comes in the night to fill them with goodies. Emily really got into it this year!

 Here she is taking off her boots to put them in the window...

Setting them up, ready to go...when she had set both boots in the window she stepped back and said, "There you go, Santa!" She was SO excited.
 

I had a meeting last night and when I came home daddy had already put Em to bed, but this is what I found...obviously she REALLY got into it. She must've thought she had been an extra good girl this year and that Mikulas was going to be extra generous. LOL!

Mikulas fills the boots....our sweet friends had sent a Mikulas package from Hungary last week with some Hungarian chocolate (the gift on the left). She also got a little Dora doll and toothbrushes!

Coming downstairs this morning...ready to see what Mikulas had left behind.

WOAH!

"It's Mikulas!"

"And Dora!"

No comments: