Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Michigan...

Well summer is nearly over and that means that baby girl #3 will be arriving before we know it. Therefore, I figured I better play catch up on the blog before it never happens. I'm not sure we've ever had quite a full summer as this, but we have managed quite well considering all the travels we've done with two small kiddos, one pregnant mama, and one sleep-deprived daddy. In the midst of all of our travels to speak and raise support for Hungary we were able to take a week vacation (our first real vacation since our honeymoon 6 years ago...) to Michigan. I grew up going to Stony Lake, MI every summer and my dream was to take Viktor (and the girls) there to share in the fun. My parents were able to rent the same cottage that we stayed in most of the years we vacationed there and so the last week of June we literally unplugged (with no cell service or internet on the lake) for a week. It was a great week filled with a lot of quiet, relaxing, reading, playing, swimming, eating, etc. I read two books during the week, which is HUGE! I never have time to sit and read for pleasure and I loved every minute of it.

We had our own little beach out front of the cottage and Emily and Viktor spent many hours building sand castles.


The first night we were there Viktor and my mom spent a long while blowing up all the rafts for the week. Viktor finished long before my mom and even got a little nap in while waiting on her to finish.
Gabriella LOVED watching all of the boats go by. Every time she would hear an engine coming she would stop what she was doing (whether we were inside or out) and wave to the boats passing by. She now does it at home anytime she hears a car or airplane. ha

Loving the sand!
Going on a boat ride.

One day it was pretty chilly and rainy so we went to a petting farm nearby. Pop and Mimi being silly in the big chair...

Gabi LOVED feeding the animals...Emily, not so much.


This was my view every day from the couch...lovely.

The cool thing about Stony Lake is that it is attached to Lake Michigan by a small little river and is only about 3 miles from our cottage by car. We spent many afternoons playing at the big beach.




One morning we went to Silver Lake to the dunes. Gabi and I stayed behind and walked through some beautiful neighborhoods while everyone else went on the dune ride. Em loved it!




A quick stop at the lighthouse on the way back from Silver Lake.

So peaceful!

Our cottage...

You can float down the little river from Stony Lake into Lake Michigan...they all planned to go but after a rocky start Emily decided she would rather meet up with the others at the other end.

After 45 minutes they finally made their way to the end!



A trip to Pentwater for icecream.

The girls strolling along...

I didn't know this, but apparently swans are very aggressive. Stony Lake has had several swan families take over and they literally stroll up and down the shoreline like they own the place. They are actually known to attack people so we had to keep an eye on the girls whenever they would come around. They are beautiful though!

When we first found out that Emily was a girl (via Ultrasound) Viktor was a bit shocked and didn't know what to do or say. After almost 20 minutes of not speaking his first question was, "I can still take her fishing, can't I?" I assured him he could still take his daughter fishing and here is the proof...she LOVED it!


On Friday our friends (who own the cottages in which we've stayed over the years) came down and took us boating. Besides the annoying life jackets, the girls had a blast.

Two thumbs up!

She loved the wind!

Lily pad flowers from the lake in honor of our sweet little Lily.  :)


No comments: